Sunday 27 November 2011

Come Into my World

Not writing has been agonizing, and I apologize for the delay.  My life here has been hectic to say the least. Knowing that “taking care of myself” will be an essential aspect to my effectiveness as a change agent, I am still working on finding that balance.

When I was six, I had a homework assignment to describe where I’d go and why, if I could go anywhere... “If I could go anywhere, I’d go to Somalia to feed the people and help them” was my answer. A few years later, I decided that once I graduated college, I would join the Peace Corps. Though not in Somalia (though I’d love to be, given the current humanitarian crisis), I am living one of my many dreams.

The road to join the Peace Corps has been a long one (ahem-as expected from any bureaucratically-charged governmental institution). But as the process continued, I began to assume that I was being tested. And like most strong women (and tea), I get stronger when put in hot water. My application process took about a year and a half, and my assignment changed from Morocco, to Tanzania, to Togo, to Rwanda. And today, I find myself (somewhat lost) in Uganda.

I’ve been here for almost five months now-though it feels like much longer... and if you’ll be patient with me, I will attempt to recover some of the moments passed that have lead me to this one....


No comments:

Post a Comment